The Swiss authorities online

Jump to content

Dog tax

Dog owners have to pay a charge to keep their animals. You have to register your dog in your commune of residence once it reaches a certain age or if you move to a new commune. You also need to inform your commune if you move away or your dog dies. You have to pay an annual amount for each dog you own, levied either by the canton or your commune, and this may be determined according to the size and weight of the dog. In most cantons a reduced tax or no tax has to be paid for guide dogs, rescue dogs etc.

For more information on the dog tax, apply to your local commune.

Dog tax

Register and de-register your dog