The Swiss authorities online

Jump to content

Your tax return – useful information

Each year persons liable for tax in Switzerland have to complete and submit a tax return. This can be done manually, using special software or online.

Which documents do I need?

It helps to be well prepared before you start to fill out your tax return. For example, we suggest you collect up the following documents during the course of the year and have them to hand:

  • Salary statement
  • Statements of bank or post office accounts
  • Securities statements
  • Private pension statements (3rd pillar)
  • Statements of special payments into your occupational pension fund (2nd pillar; regular payments are recorded on your salary statement)
  • Summary of medical expenses
  • Summary of professional expenses
  • Receipts of further training courses
  • Receipts of any donations made
  • For home owners: all documents concerning property tax, mortgage interest, bills for maintenance and renovations, running costs and administrative costs etc.


  • Check carefully what you can deduct – you’ll find out more in the explanatory leaflet.
  • When you submit your tax return, only include the receipts and statements you are specifically asked for– but retain all others in case the tax authorities ask to see them later.
  • Married couples complete a joint tax return – which both spouses must sign.
  • Don’t wait until the last minute to complete your tax return – if you get it in promptly, you should receive the final assessment sooner and the installments can be calculated more accurately.
  • Why not fill out your tax return using the special software or online?


There are several things you can deduct from your tax bill. These vary in amount and from one canton to another. Here is what you can deduct:

  • Work-related expenses (costs incurred in relation to your work, such as the cost of travel to your workplace or of meals),
  • General deductions such as state and work pension contributions and invalidity insurance, medical insurance and life insurance premiums, childcare, charitable donations and interest paid on private debt,
  • Social deductions for children, personal circumstances, persons in need of care, etc.
  • Any debt you may have can be set off against your savings.

Completing your tax return online

The cantonal tax administrations deal with tax returns. They provide a computer program and website where you can complete your tax return.

Keeping tax documents

The length of time you need to keep tax returns, receipts and other documentary proof depends on the type of tax and the canton concerned. If you want to be absolutely sure, keep documents for 15 years following the end of the tax period.