The Swiss authorities online

Jump to content

Residence permits - Overview and renewal

EU-27*/EFTA** citizens Third-state nationals
  • Permit L EU/EFTA (short-term residence permit)
  • Permit B EU/EFTA (residence permit)
  • Permit C EU/EFTA (settlement permit)
  • Permit Ci EU/EFTA (residence permit with gainful employment)
  • Permit G EU/EFTA (cross-border commuter permit)

*The EU-27 comprises the following countries: Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Denmark, Germany, Estonia, Finland, France, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Austria, Poland, Portugal, the Czech Republic, Romania, Sweden, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Hungary and Cyprus.

**EFTA: Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland

  • Permit B (residence permit)
  • Permit C (settlement permit)
  • Permit Ci (residence permit with gainful employment)
  • Permit G (cross-border commuter permit)
  • Permit L (short-term residence permit)
  • Permit F (provisionally admitted foreigner)
  • Permit N (permit for asylum seekers)
  • Permit S (person in need of protection)

Requesting a residence permit

To obtain a residence permit, please contact the cantonal migration authority responsible for your place of residence.

Renewal of Swiss residence permit

Applications to renew a residence permit must be submitted to the commune of residence no earlier than three months and no later than two weeks prior to date of expiry of the residence permit. You will need to present your residence permit, a valid passport (which must remain valid for at least three months after the date of expiry of the residence permit) and (if available) the letter notifying you that your residence permit is about to expire.

Contact the commune where you live for more detailed information.

Information on renewal of your residence permit