The Swiss authorities online

Jump to content

Regular naturalisation

Swiss citizenship can be acquired by birth, adoption, regular or facilitated naturalisation.

Regular or simplified naturalisation?

There is a simplified naturalisation procedure, mainly for foreign spouses or children of Swiss citizens. Additional information can be found here.

If you are unable to obtain Swiss citizenship through facilitated naturalisation, then you must go through the regular naturalisation procedure

Regular naturalisation procedure and duration

  • Depending on cantonal legislation, naturalisation applications must be submitted to the commune or to the canton. To find out which authority to contact, click on the link “Locating and contacting authority responsible for naturalisation below.
  • After submitting your naturalisation application, you will be invited to a personal interview where you will be informed of the subsequent steps to be taken.
  • Naturalisation procedures vary considerably from one commune or canton to another: some communes, for instance, require applicants to take a verbal or written naturalisation test while others leave the naturalisation decision up to the communal assembly.
  • The duration of the naturalisation procedure varies considerably from one canton to another. Contact the local communal or cantonal authorities for more information.

Overview of naturalisation procedure

Questions about application form

Locating and contacting authority responsible for naturalisation

Moving during the naturalisation procedure

In all likelihood, a move will have a major impact on the naturalisation procedure. This is because each commune has a different procedure. The authorities may decide to make an exception if you decide to move to another location during the naturalisation procedure. Contact the local commune for more information.

Fees for regular naturalisation

Commune* Between CHF 500 and CHF 1,000 per person
Canton* Up to CHF 2,000 per person
  • Married couple with or without under-age children: CHF 150
  • Unmarried individual with or without person under-age children: CHF 100
  • Under-age child: CHF 50

*These fees vary significantly from one commune or canton to another and should be considered as a ballpark figure.

There may also be additional costs for residence certificate, criminal record certificate, debt registry certificate, etc. Contact the authority responsible for naturalisation for more information.