The Swiss authorities online

Jump to content

Visa requirements for non-EU/EFTA citizens living in Switzerland

The Schengen Agreement has an impact on the movement of persons. Holders of the following Swiss residence permits may travel within the Schengen Area* without a visa for stays of up to 90 days:

  • B permit (residence permit)
  • C permit (settlement permit)
  • L permit (short-term stay permit)
  • Ci permit (residence and work permit)
  • Diplomatic ID cards issued by the Federal Department of Foreign Affairs (FDFA)

You must bring your Swiss permit and a valid travel document with you when travelling.

Holders of an F, N or S permit

Holders of an F, N or S permit are not authorised to cross the Swiss border. The State Secretariat for Migration SEM  may exceptionally authorise trips outside of Switzerland and in such cases will issue the necessary travel documents.

*There are currently 26 countries that have signed the Schengen Agreement:
Belgium, Denmark, Germany, Estonia, Finland, France, Principality of Liechtenstein, Greece, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Austria, Poland, Portugal, Sweden, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, the Czech Republic, Hungary and Switzerland.