The Swiss authorities online

Jump to content

Lost number plates

What to do if your number plates are lost or stolen.

Report the loss/theft to the police

  • You must immediately report the loss or theft of your number plates to the police. They will issue a police report.
  • Report the loss/theft to your canton’s road traffic office.

Cantonal police desks

Report loss/theft of number plates to the road traffic office


The fees for new number plates vary from canton to canton. For more information contact your canton’s road traffic office.