The Swiss authorities online

Jump to content

Finding out about building ground or plots of ground

Zone plan and building regulations

The zone plan shows you which plots can be used as building ground for a new house. The communal zone plan indicates the different building, agricultural and protected zones. In order to find out if you can build what you want on your plot of ground, you must also consult the building regulations.

Inspecting the zone plan

Land Register

The Land Register provides information on who owns a plot of land, whether other people have rights relating to the plot of ground (e.g. joint use of paths and access roads) and whether the plot is burdened with mortgages. The data in the Land Register is open for public inspection. Anyone who can prove an interest can also obtain detailed information from the Land Register office. As a prospective land owner, you should be aware of all the relevant entries in the Land Register.

Ordering a Land Register extract

You can get a Land Register extract from the Land Register office in the relevant commune. The costs depend on what form of extract you want.

Cadastral map

The Land Register also contains the cadastral maps. Cadastral maps are drawn up by the Official Cadastral Survey and indicate the boundaries of the plots of land and the plan and height control points. The data is publicly accessible and in some cases available online. Extracts can also be ordered. If you are planning a building project, you will need extracts that have been certified by the Surveyor's Office.

Ordering a cadastral map

You can obtain these maps from the surveyor's office in the commune concerned. The costs depend on the plan.

Connecting the plot to public utilities

A plot of ground must be connected to the public utilities (electricity, water and gas networks) before a building project can be approved. These connections are the commune's responsibility. Contact the commune to find out whether a plot is connected, and if not, what the costs will be.