The Swiss authorities online

Jump to content

Importing firearms into Switzerland as a member of the public

A licence is needed to import weapons, weapons components, ammunition or ammunition components into Switzerland. The licence is issued by the Federal Office of Police fedpol.

If you enter Switzerland with arms or ammunition, you must notify an open and manned customs office, and produce the licence mentioned above. If you can produce a purchase receipt, that will make customs procedures easier. Weapons are duty free, but you have to pay VAT at 7,7 per cent on them.

Special requirements

  • No licence is needed if the firearm originating from a Schengen state is being used for hunting or in a sports competition, and it is registered in a European Firearms Pass. You do, however, need to produce written evidence that you have been invited to take part in a hunting sports event.

Application forms and information about importing weapons