The Swiss authorities online

Jump to content

Going to live abroad

FDFA emigration checklist

Have you decided to emigrate and live abroad long term? Before you leave, find out more about your country of destination, the cost of living, and any administrative formalities to be completed in Switzerland and at your destination.

Run through the FDFA’s checklist to ensure you’ve thought of everything before you leave Switzerland:

Swiss representation abroad

If you are Swiss and go to live abroad, you need to register at a Swiss diplomatic mission or consulate. The Swiss consulate is like your local council offices  abroad. You can find your nearest representation on the FDFA website.

Retirement abroad

More and more people are choosing to retire abroad. If you are one of them, make sure you find out about regulations for persons not in gainful employment, health insurance, how your pension will be paid abroad, taxes etc.

Retirement abroad

Health insurance and social insurance

When you leave Switzerland, your situation regarding health insurance, social insurance and your occupational pension changes.

OASI/DI (invalidity insurance)

Provision for old age

Health insurance

Political rights

Swiss people living abroad can exercise their political rights at federal level. If you would like to do this, you need to register with a diplomatic or consular representation and with your voting commune (where you formerly lived).

The cantons of Bern, Basel-Land, Fribourg, Geneva, Graubünden, Jura, Neuchâtel, Solothurn, Schwyz and Ticino also grant currently the right to vote at cantonal level to Swiss living abroad.

Political rights