The Swiss authorities online

Jump to content

Shortfall in OASI (AHV) contributions

Regardless of whether or not you are gainfully employed, you must pay contributions consistently to Old Age and Survivors’ Insurance (OASI), Invalidity Insurance (IV), Compensation for Loss of Earnings (LEC) and – for employees – to Unemployment Insurance (ALV), in order to be eligible for a full OASI pension when you come to retire. Employed persons must make contributions from 1 January following their 17th birthday until the standard retirement age (64 for women and 65 for men), or until they leave their job, in the event that they work beyond the standard retirement age. Those who are not employed must make contributions from 1 January following their 20th birthday until the standard retirement age. Gaps in contributions result in a reduction in the OASI pension. If you miss a year’s contribution, your pension will in principle be reduced by at least 2.3%. The contributions of persons who are not employed are deemed to be fully paid, provided their spouse or their registered partner is gainfully employed, and that his or her contributions – together with those of his or her employer – amount to at least twice the minimum contribution (2 x CHF 482 = CHF 964).

Reasons for gaps in contribution

You need to pay special attention to avoid gaps in contributions, in particular

  • if you work on numerous and short assignments for various employers,
  • if you spend extended periods abroad;
  • if you are entitled to benefits from an insurance company in the event of an accident or illness;
  •  if you do not pay any OASI contributions while a student.

Requesting an account statement

You may request a detailed account statement in writing or via Internet (see link below) to check if you have any gaps in contributions. The statement should allow you to identify any gaps in contributions. You may request a correction from the compensation office within 30 days of the date on which the statement was issued.

Closing gaps in contributions

You can close gaps by paying the missing contributions. This is only possible, however, for gaps in periods during which you were insured in Switzerland and which occurred in the last five years. It is not possible to make up for missed payments from an earlier date.

If there are gaps in contributions due to your employer’s failure to pay contributions to the compensation office, you must be able to prove that you did indeed work and that your employer deducted the OASI contributions from your wages during the period concerned. If the proof is accurate, the missing contributions will be credited to your account, even if the pension fund office is unable to collect the contributions from your former employer.

What you need to do once you know you have gaps in OASI contributions

Contact the compensation office that was responsible for collecting your contributions when the gaps occurred, or the compensation office that currently collects your contributions. You will need to provide documents (e.g. salary certificates and statements), as proof of your salary.

To obtain a list of the compensation offices handling your account

Change of domicile to and / or employment in a foreign country

  • If you (only Swiss citizens) are employed either by the Confederation or by a federally-recognised international or aid organisation in a country with which Switzerland has not concluded a social security agreement, you can remain insured in Switzerland.
  • If you are working in a country with which Switzerland has not concluded a social security agreement and keep your residence in Switzerland, you can remain insured in Switzerland.
  • If you are working in a country with which Switzerland has concluded a social security agreement and keep your residence in Switzerland, you can join the insurance under certain conditions.
  • If you leave Switzerland and move to an EU/EFTA member state, you may remain insured with the OASI/IV insurance only in particular cases (c.f. the factsheet ‘Leaving Switzerland and moving to an EU or EFTA member state’).
  • If you move to a non EU/EFTA member state, you have the option of joining the voluntary OASI/IV insurance. Check the information below and the factsheet: ‘10.01 - OASI/IV insurance for you and your family when you are employed abroad.

Voluntary OASI / IV

If you are a Swiss or EU/EFTA citizen and relocate to a country outside the EU/EFTA, you can pay into the voluntary OASI/IV scheme provided you have been insured under the compulsory OASI/IV/EO/(ALV) insurance scheme for five consecutive years prior to moving abroad. You must apply within a year of having been insured under the compulsory scheme to the Swiss representation (embassy or consulate) responsible for your place of residence or to the Swiss compensation office in Geneva. If you are employed , you pay 9.8% of your income in contributions. Spouses, registered partners and children of persons with a voluntary OASI/IV insurance are not automatically insured, and so need to be insured separately .

If you are not employed, your contributions are considered to be paid, provided your spouse or registered partner is employed and made contributions of at least CHF 1,844 per year. Insured persons who are not employed pay a contribution based on the investment and retirement incomes. The minimum contribution for voluntary insurance is CHF 922 per year, and the maximum contribution, CHF 23,050 per year. For more details, see factsheet: ‘10.02 - Voluntary Old Age, Survivors' and Invalidity Insurance.’

Factsheets on social insurance for Swiss citizens living abroad

Reclaiming social insurance contributions

Foreign nationals from countries with which Switzerland has not concluded a social security agreement may reclaim the paid OASI contributions if they leave Switzerland permanently. Repayment includes the shares paid both by the employee and by the employer, but does not include interest rates. Certain conditions must be observed for the repayment of OASI contributions.