The Swiss authorities online

Jump to content

Deregistering a vehicle

If you want to sell, exchange or scrap your car you must cancel your car registration document at your canton’s road traffic office.

Vehicles with exchangeable number plates

Your insurance company will be notified when you cancel the registration of a vehicle that uses exchangeable number plates. Your insurance premium might be adjusted if your remaining vehicle has a smaller engine.

If you have normal number plates your insurance company will only be informed when you deposit or return your number plates.

Cancelled registration document

The cancelled registration document will be returned to you by post or in person at the road traffic office. If you sell your car, you must give the registration document to the car’s new owner.


In some cantons there is no fee for deregistering a vehicle. For more information, contact your canton’s road traffic office.

Deregister a vehicle