The Swiss authorities online

Jump to content

Accident insurance: Who is covered?

Insurance for occupational accidents, non-occupational accidents and occupational illness. Accident insurance (UVG) is concluded between the employer and employee.

Who is covered?

All employees working in Switzerland are required by law to be insured against accidents, also including home workers, apprentices, trainees, volunteers, persons training or working in workshops for invalids, cleaning staff employed in private households.

Who is not covered?

Self-employed persons and persons who are not gainfully employed such as housewives and househusbands, children, students, and pensioners are not covered. People in these groups should be obtain cover against accidents as part of their health insurance.


Accident insurance covers medical expenses for both occupational and non-occupational accidents, i.e. accidents during leisure time. The maximum insured income is CHF 148,200.


Employees whose weekly working hours for an employer amount to less than eight hours are only insured against occupational accidents and occupational illness, but not against non-occupational accidents (Please note: Do not discontinue accident coverage from your health insurance!). Accidents that occur on your way to and from work are considered to be occupational accidents.