The Swiss authorities online

Jump to content

Staying abroad

Are you planning to go abroad to travel, or do a language course or work experience? The information given here will help you prepare your trip.

Learning a language and studying abroad

Perhaps you have decided to go abroad to learn a language or study. The Federal Department of Foreign Affairs (FDFA) supports your preparations for a language course. You can also refer to its practical guide with tips on preparing for your trip so nothing gets forgotten.

Language learning abroad

Guide to language courses and studying abroad (not in English)


The cantons are responsible for fellowships and study grants. You will find a list of the relevant services on the “Educa” website. You may also be able to get funding from a private foundation or fund. 

Addresses of cantonal grant offices

Au pair

Have you decided to go abroad to be an au pair ? The FDFA’s guide will help you to find a position and can give advice on work contracts, wages etc.

Guide to au-pairing abroad (not in English)

Work experience/internship

Switzerland has agreements on internships with a number of other countries. These allow young people to go abroad to gain important professional skills and language skills.

Your stay abroad – General information from the FDFA

Are you currently abroad? The FDFA's guide Your stay abroad (available in German, French and Italian) informs you about the regulations that you, as a Swiss citizen , should observe.

«Your stay abroad» (not in English)