Incompatibility with a parliamentary mandate
Before submitting your candidacy, find out whether there is anything that might make you incompatible with the role of being a member of parliament. In some cases, the Federal Constitution and the law do not permit a person to hold two different public offices at the same time. These rules also apply to the Swiss abroad.
• members of the armed forces command staff;
• staff of the Federal Administration
• staff of the Parliamentary Services
• staff of the federal courts
• staff of the secretariat of the Supervisory Authority for the Office of the Attorney General of Switzerland
• staff of the Office of the Attorney General of Switzerland
• members of extra-parliamentary commissions with decision-making powers
• judges of the federal courts whom it has not elected.
Parliament Act: Art. 14 Incompatibility and Art. 15 Procedure
Incompatibility between the parliamentary mandate and other mandates or roles: Interpretative principles
The cantons may define other forms of incompatibility with a parliamentary mandate. These can be found in the document below.